Ever had a week when you crave just one kind of food – and don’t grow sick of it? I have those kind of weeks often and this week if was Asian-inspired.
I went to our local Asian market and grabbed maybe one of everything in the produce area (not really exaggerating – I’m like a kid in a toy store the moment I see a strange fruit or vegetable.) The result from my shopping trip: a week of vegetarian stir fries, Pad Thais, dumplings and rolls.
Vegetarian Steamed Dumplings
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cabbage, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3-4 Thai basil leaves, chopped
- 1 small handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot dumpling sauce (you can find this at your local Asian market)
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 20 dumpling wrappers
Start by heating a wok (or large skillet) with tablespoon of oil. Saute onions, ginger and garlic until onions are tender. Set aside.